Robert W. Davis, Jr.,
Attorney at Law
CALL 662-269-4454

CALL 662-269-4454

Vigorously Protecting Your Rights

Photo of Robert W. Davis

Discussing the realities of divorce with children

On Behalf of | May 6, 2021 | Divorce |

Children are especially vulnerable to changes and upheaval in their families and everyday lives. They can experience mental and emotional difficulty when there is a significant change in their day-to-day routines, such as what happens when their parents go through a divorce. Mississippi parents who decide to go through a divorce will find it helpful to prepare to have this conversation and help their children through this difficult time.

A productive conversation

First approaching the subject of divorce will not be easy. It will certainly be an emotional conversation, and preparation can help it go more smoothly. Some of the things that may help parents discuss their divorce with their kids include:

  • The parents should present a united front as this can provide comfort to their kids.
  • Delay the conversation until major decisions have been made, such as which parent is moving out.
  • Keep the conversation simple and straightforward, especially if the kids are younger.
  • Explain from the very beginning that the kids don’t have to pick a side and the divorce is not their fault.

The initial conversation about divorce will likely be the most difficult one. If parents are intentional and careful about how they approach this discussion, they will be in a better position to support and care for their kids during this time of transition.

A long-term perspective

Mississippi parents may have to set aside their own feelings while discussing their divorce with their kids. Allowing temporary emotions to affect this important conversation can be harmful for the youngest members of the family. Parents will find it helpful to think how every choice they make will affect their kids long-term.


FindLaw Network

Start Protecting Your Future Today

To schedule an appointment to talk to me about your case, complete and submit the form below.