Woman faces federal lawsuit over vandalism of Dakota Access line

If you follow the national news, then you remember the major concerns that came with the Dakota Access oil pipeline. So many people wanted to prevent the construction of the pipeline that there were many cases of vandalism and other criminal acts.

A woman is facing a federal lawsuit after the pipeline developer filed a $1 billion federal racketeering lawsuit. She was among millions of people who also wanted to stop the construction of the pipeline, but her story is different. While she's been charged with a crime and has admitted to vandalizing the pipeline in two states, her attorney states that the oil company isn't able to prove that she is part of a criminal enterprise.

What should you know about custody in Mississippi?

There are some questions you may have if you are living in Mississippi and have to decide on child custody arrangements. First, you want to know that you and your ex-spouse will share the care of your children together, even though you're not still living together. You also want to know that your child custody orders will be held up between states, should anything happen.

To start with, it's a wise choice to talk to your attorney about custody laws that have recently changed or that could affect your case specifically. However, there are some basic rules of custody in Mississippi that you can learn more about. For example, did you know that Mississippi has adopted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)? Thanks to this, you know any custody arrangements will be held up in the state and in any other state with the UCCJEA.

Know the true role of protective orders

Sometimes, people find themselves in dangerous situations. They may have family members they don't get along with or could be in a situation where they're at risk of being hurt if they don't leave or have the aggressor restricted from seeing them.

Protective orders are there for people in those situations. Protective orders are often used in family law cases, especially when there is a risk of abuse or harm coming to a family member or child. Restraining orders, as protective orders are also known, can help legally restrict a dangerous person from coming into contact with their supposed victim.

Choosing joint custody: Understand what it means

Child custody arrangements are an important factor in any divorce case. When you have a child with another person, there's usually a good chance that you and your ex-spouse will share custody (unless there are significant reasons to disallow the other parent in your child's life).

For most people, the thing that will work best is called joint custody. Courts like joint custody, because both parents maintain a relationship with their child. In the majority of situations, both parents are good parents, so they should have joint custody to remain as prominent in their children's lives as possible.

How do you help your adopted child adjust to their new home?

When new parents bring their bundle of joy home from the hospital, they need time to bond, figure out the baby’s schedule and adjust to the sleep deprivation an infant often brings to the home. As an adoptive family, regardless of the age of your adopted child, you need time to adjust too. Certain steps can help your transition.

Know your custody laws in Mississippi

Knowing the child custody laws in Mississippi is important if you are going through a divorce. To start with, knowing the law gives you a good understanding of what you can or cannot do as well as what others may or may not ask for.

It's also a good idea to learn more about the law, so you can better understand your attorney. For example, your attorney is likely to talk to you about the Uniform Child Custody Act (UCCA), which is an act that keeps custody laws the same throughout the United States. This important act protects your rights as a parent. Mississippi adopted it in 1982, protecting your court-ordered rights in any state.

What are the grounds for divorce in Mississippi?

In Mississippi, you can get a divorce with or without fault. There are 12 grounds for divorce on top of the no-fault divorce. No-fault divorces happen when the couple can agree on alimony, property division and child custody or support. Fault-based divorces require a court to step in, listen to the case and determine if the grounds provided are enough to grant the divorce.

Understanding which type of divorce you want to go through is vital. If you want to file for divorce based on grounds, then you can choose one of the following:

  1. Desertion
  2. Natural impotency
  3. Adultery
  4. Inhumane treatment
  5. Incest
  6. Bigamy
  7. Incurable insanity
  8. Pregnancy by another person at the time of marriage
  9. Insanity
  10. Custody at the Mississippi Department of Corrections
  11. Excessive drug use
  12. Excessive drinking

"White-collar crimes" often don't involve the rich and powerful

Many people associate the term "white-collar crime" with Wall Street bigwigs and executives of large corporations. It may seem like even if they're convicted and punished, they end up in "country club prisons." However, people in just about every social strata and all types of professions can get caught up in these crimes, and the legal consequences can be anything but pleasant. Let's look at a few of them.

Tax evasion and fraud

How will you divide your property in a divorce?

Couples who own significant assets have a more complicated process if they decide to divorce. The equitable division of homes, money, investments and other items of value can be difficult.

Therefore, it is important for couples to know before they begin their divorce what property division in Mississippi looks like and how it affects them.

Know your rights during a divorce in Mississippi

A divorce may feel like the end of your world, but it doesn't have to be. By looking at it as a new start, you can help yourself get into a frame of mind that can help you make good decisions while dividing your property and resolving your divorce.

When you look at dividing a marriage, you have to be knowledgeable. Get to know the assets you have and that your spouse has. Know what you're entitled to by law. For example, Mississippi is not a community property state. That means that your assets are not necessarily going to be divided half-and-half style.

Contact Us:

Office Location:

542 Jefferson St.
Tupelo, MS 38804

Toll Free: 877-298-6042
Phone: 662-269-4454
Fax: 662-842-2567
Tupelo Law Office Map

google map