Robert W. Davis, Jr.,
Attorney at Law
CALL 662-269-4454

CALL 662-269-4454

Vigorously Protecting Your Rights

Photo of Robert W. Davis

Emotions can hurt: Don’t drag out your divorce

On Behalf of | Sep 25, 2018 | Family Law, Firm News |

Divorces are stressful; there is no way to avoid it. However, you can handle your divorce stress gracefully and walk away from the end of your marriage in a stable position if you handle the divorce in the right way.

It is important not to let your emotions get the better of you when you file for a divorce. Whether you’re grieving or just want to keep your spouse happy, the reality is that the divorce will move forward no matter how you act. In that case, it’s better to act in a way that is respectful and that gets the job done and over with relatively quickly.

What happens when stress overtakes a client?

Clients who can’t, or don’t, want to deal with a divorce may find that they’re receiving higher bills than expected due to attorneys negotiating for them or needing to file for extensions. Clients may also notice that the divorce takes much longer than estimated.

In reality, a divorce can go as quickly or slowly as you let it. If you’re willing to negotiate with your spouse or are willing to sign documents and move forward within reasonable time frames, then your divorce will move quickly. If not, then it may drag out for many months or years.

What can you do to avoid becoming too emotional throughout the process?

It’s unlikely that you’ll be able to avoid being emotional, but when it comes to financial decisions, you need to take a step back and make a decision when you’re calm. Look at your long-term goals and see what kind of settlement fits into where you see yourself. Take a day away and clear your head if you have to, but remember that the decisions still have to be made. Let go of things that aren’t in your control and remember that your attorney will be able to advise you on any decisions you make.


FindLaw Network

Start Protecting Your Future Today

To schedule an appointment to talk to me about your case, complete and submit the form below.