Robert W. Davis, Jr.,
Attorney at Law
CALL 662-269-4454

CALL 662-269-4454

Vigorously Protecting Your Rights

Photo of Robert W. Davis

Handling visitation when a child doesn’t want to go

On Behalf of | Aug 2, 2018 | Family Law, Firm News |

Normally, children are happy to see their parents. Even after a divorce, many revel in the time they get with their parents. For some, though, visitation is a problem.

Children may not legally refuse visitation time, but yet some fight tooth and nail to avoid seeing the other parent. If that’s happening with your child, here’s a few things you should consider.

1. Ask why your child doesn’t want to go

There might be an easy reason. For instance, your child might want to stay home because a friend is staying with their mom or dad near your home tonight. Perhaps your child misses the family pet or wants to keep playing on the computer you keep only at your home. When you find out why your child wants to stay home, you can begin to address it. Note that some children don’t want to go for serious reasons, like fearing the other parent or their new spouse. These are concerns to take to your ex-spouse and the court.

2. Have a conversation

If your child refuses to go and is throwing tantrums, it’s time to talk to your ex-spouse. Find out if there is anything you can do together to make the transition easier. Maybe there is something you can change about the daily routines that would benefit your child and make going to the other parent’s home easier. For instance, having duplicates of a few toys or having special date nights with each parent on transition days might help reduce conflict.

3. Address the problem in court

If you feel there are significant problems leading to your child’s behavior, it’s time to talk to your attorney and the court. Your child may need therapy, or there could be issues that have to be addressed with the other parent.

Visitation can be stressful, but addressing the core problem will help.


FindLaw Network

Start Protecting Your Future Today

To schedule an appointment to talk to me about your case, complete and submit the form below.