Robert W. Davis, Jr.,
Attorney at Law
CALL 662-269-4454

CALL 662-269-4454

Vigorously Protecting Your Rights

Photo of Robert W. Davis

Is joint custody always the best solution for the children?

On Behalf of | Mar 17, 2022 | Child Custody |

During a divorce, Mississippi parents will face the difficulty of deciding how this process will impact their children. Most parents want to provide stability and continuity of lifestyle for the younger members of the family, regardless of how they feel about each other. In many cases, this means choosing a joint custody arrangement. There are some who believe that joint custody should be the standard child custody arrangement in every divorce where it is possible and appropriate. 

The best interests of the children 

The goal of any child custody arrangement is to protect the best interests of the children above all else. Supporters of joint custody say that this arrangement provides the highest likelihood of allowing the kids to have a strong relationship with both parents. Despite its benefits, there are some who say that joint custody should be a parental choice, not something dictated to families by the force of law. 

In states where joint custody is the legal standard, parents are generally granted equal decision-making authority and parenting time. Each parent also has the right to seek a different type of custody outcome if he or she does not believe that arrangement is the most appropriate. Every case is different, and the objective should always be to preserve the child’s mental and emotional well-being. 

A fair custody arrangement 

Even without a legal presumption of joint custody, many Mississippi parents believe this is the right choice for their families. It will be essential to carefully review the details of the individual situation in order to determine if this is truly the best option. Joint custody often offers a family a reasonable and fair way to address their custody concerns. 



FindLaw Network

Start Protecting Your Future Today

To schedule an appointment to talk to me about your case, complete and submit the form below.